Zouk Khrab is a very old historic town lying on the Nahr el Kalb southern banks derived its name after the Turkmen Lieutenant called Khrab who lived in the town with his tribe and soldiers during the Mamluk era. Its strategic location overlooking the Mediterranean sea, since the Phoenician days until the second world war, has attracted military activity and setup of forts, barracks, and dug out hid away tunnels and secret passage ways. In the early 1950, Zouk Khrab has welcomed many Palestinians and refugees in response to the Pope’s representative appeal.
Zouk Khrab is very rich in history which survive as inscription tablets scattered all along its northern frontier along the Nahr el Kalb banks. Inscriptions on tablets date back to the Pharos, Ashouryans, Babylonians, Allied soldiers, until independence day 1946.
The town has two historical churches:
1- St. Georges church, of historical and religious importance
2- St. Joseph Citadel which was used as a defense fort dating back to pre roman era. The hermit Chahin Moussa Hakalani lived in it until 1736 when he gave it to the maronite church.
Construction spread to the eastern side of Zouk Khrab in the early days. In modern days, and due to Beirut water company, construction spread to the west of the town extending from Dbayeh to Jeita Grottos.
Zouk Khrab lies on the southern banks of Nahr el Kalb
- Bordered by Deir Tamish and Mar Abda el Mishmer to the east
- Dbayeh and the Mediterranean sea to the west
- Nahr el Kalb and Zouk Mosbeh to the north
- Dbayeh and Haret el Belaneh to the south
It is mainly rocky land, with some curable land suitable for growing vegetables. Zouk Khrab has a flat land at the coast, rising gradually in the center area and falls steeply to the north and south. At its highest point, it rises 100m above sea level, enjoys a moderate weather, and relatively low humidity.
Refugees 3500 living in what is known as Dbayeh camp
Area 2, 360, 000 m²
Average 5 persons per family
260 buildings (residential) between 1-5 store’s, and a few villas
400, 000 m² Construction
1, 700, 000 m² Undeveloped real-estate
50, 000 m² Agriculture
150, 000 m² Rocky and bushes
60, 000 m² Industry
Water supplies from Beirut water company and electricity from Antelias distributor.
- St. Joseph Citadel
- St. George Church
- St. Janet Church
- The historic inscription tablets at Nahr el Kalb
- Military tunnel extending from the river bank to St. Joseph Citadel
- Various restaurants
- Shooting club
Zouk Khrab Haret el Belaneh