The name Dbayeh originates from a Phoenician word meaning a
female deer. Due to its
location on the Mediterranean sea, Dbayeh historically has been a passage
for various civilizations and cultures that have left their history
engraved on the rocks of Zouk Khrab and Nahr el Kalb.
With the establishment of the Beirut water company in 1870
in Dbayeh, followed by the establishments of several coffee shops and
houses located near the water canals of the company, the area started its
development towards the modern day Dbayeh.
These next houses, along the railway between Beirut and Maameltein
has made Dbayeh a first class tourist center attracting visitors from
Beirut, the mountains, and the surrounding areas to spend short vacations
and relaxing weekends in Dbayeh.
The Beirut water company
in Dbayeh was established around 1870 by a British- French- Belgian-
company to distribute fresh drinking water to Beirut.
Dbayeh has benefited from the excess water to help speed up the
further development of agriculture, construction, and tourism in the area
and its surroundings. Tourism
in the area cooled down during the recession of the second world war and
almost disappeared with the construction of the main highway between Nahr
el Mot- Nahr el Kalb which started in 1954.
Dbayeh lands has been neglected until the establishment of
the Beirut water company, which drove many mountainous people down to
settle in Dbayeh in search of work with the new company or to cultivate
the land. Berries and
vegetables were grown in the early damp, specially the cultivation of the
silk worm was very popular. Soon
afterwards, the berries were replaced with banana plantations, seasonal
vegetables, and mostly citron fruits.
1870 Dbayeh had no more than twenty residential houses, mostly belonging
to the Maronite monastery. The new settlers working for the Beirut water company and the
farmers helped to develop the town and to build new houses.
During the second world war, the allied forces established a
military unit in Dbayeh which encouraged trade in the area, resulting in
more people moving and settling in the town further developing infra
structure and the growth of the town.
The own of Dbayeh lies on the Mediterranean sea bordered as
to the North, Zouk Khrab
to the South Nakkash, Antelias
to the East Zouk Khrab, Haret Belaneh, Awkar, Nakkash
to the West the Mediterranean sea
It lies 1-10 meters above sea level, it has sandy and red
soil, mostly enable land. The
nature of the surrounding lands help to store internal water causing
natural winter canals to flow through Dbayeh’s flat land.
Humidity is high specially in the spring and summer.
During the winter, strong western winds blowing from the sea are
harmful to the crops. To
prevent damage, crops are surrounded by high fences or hedges.
Dbayeh has moderate temperatures varying from 8؛C - 20؛C in
winter, and between 25؛C - 35؛C in summer.
Population is around 2050 distributed around 100 hektars.
145 buildings between one and five strays high
An average of 5 persons per family
40% 20- 50 yrs
20% over 50
Use of land (1983)
Dbayeh’s area is nearly 1, 000, 000 m² (or 1km²)
Dbayeh had a network of narrow roads developed mostly for
horses and carts. With the
growth of the town some roads were widened and tarred mostly as an
individual initiatives by its people.
The construction of the highway of Nahr el Mot – Nahr el
Kalb, passing right through the center of Dbayeh, dividing it into two
parts and connecting all the roads network to each other.
Dbayeh gets its drinking water from the water treatment
plant of Beirut water company that is located in the town.
Production of treated water was 5000 cubic m per day before the
first world war. 1983
production figures were 220, 000 cubic m of treated water per day.
There are two schools in Dbayeh
A public school with 600 students, 65% male, 35% female and
teaches both French and Arabic languages.
St. Rita’s School founded in 1966 by the Maronite church
and has nearly 450 students 80% female, 20% male and teaches three
languages, Arabic, French, and English.
There are 3 churches in Dbayeh
St. George Church
The Resurrection Church
St. Man sour Church